The lovely owner of Swanky Sweets Bake Shop, Vicki Mann, sat down with us to answer a few of our burning questions. We can’t wait for you to learn more about her, her mission and her delicious treats below!
1. At what age did you start baking? I am not sure of the exact age, but I grew up in my grandmother (Nanny) and mom’s kitchen. I would say by the time I was 3 or 4 I was involved in it.
2. What was the inspiration behind opening your own business? I had always wanted to open my own brick and mortar business, and specifically have it be a bakery. I wanted to have it in a little town, where you would get to know your regulars by name…I always loved everything about that! My husband had always wanted me to pursue that dream, and I just wouldn’t take that leap because I was comfortable in Corporate America. When he passed away in 2016, I kind of just knew it was the time for it. It was the time to chase the dream and to be able to show my kids that you can make something great and “rise” out of something so tragic.
3. What has been your most difficult hurdle? Being an entrepreneur isn’t easy! There doesn’t seem to be enough time in a day or week, and oftentimes enough capital…haha!
4. And what is the most satisfying part? Being a part of peoples’ lives…from the weddings to the gender reveals or to making the cakes year after year as the kids grow. We also have so many special clients who have favorites that we make for them, or special things we do because they need something for their diet. All those nuances and relationships give us all the feels!
5. How do you draw the line between fancy and tasty? Well, taste always has to be there. I would rather have it be simple and straightforward every time if fancy will impact the taste. Ideally, we always try to shoot for a balance of being aesthetic and tasting just as good as it looks!
6. What is the one pastry that you love – but have yet to master baking? Soufflé’s – but largely due to the fact that we use a convection oven.
7. One tool you cannot live without? That is tough! I would say a mixer but that is just because of ease of use. I might have to say a zester – I just love fresh zest in so many things!
8. What makes your business a success? Well, I don’t really think we are there yet, so that is very hard to answer! Maybe ask again in a few years 🙂
9. Where do you see your business going? We are just looking to keep growing through word of mouth like it has been. We keep discussing shipping our treats eventually! We would love to see the bakery expand to a second location or have the bakery items featured at another location at some point!